Monday, September 12, 2011

Disapointment on the East Side

Well I spent 9 hours running hiking with a 20lbs pack through New Hampshire on the Appalachian Trail. I knew it wasn't going to be a great run on the drive to the start in Hanover, NH and the Vermont border. Why?  First we were rerouted about an extra hour because of a major road washout.  Second, well the car would periodically hydroplane. Turns out the flood watch warnings were real. I won't bother with all the details, but this video is a pretty good example of what I was dealing with. The basics: I ran out of time to wait for a weather window.  I went for it in the middle of some serious nasty weather.  By noon I had to put all my cloths on to deal with the storm and the low temps.  I knew then that traversing the Franconia Ridge or Mount Washington, just wouldn't be very smart.  So I bailed on Route 25 after about 48 miles. This trip East was an absolute disaster caused by horrible weather.  I did however get to hang out with some very dear friends who I haven't seen in a long long time.  Silver lining. 

On to the next one.




2 comments:

Christian said...

Sorry it didn't work out Matt. Kinda crazy that you went for it despite the conditions, happy to see you're okay. Time for some cool fall running in the Wasatch. Come back and we'll go bag some peaks.

ultrastevep said...

Matt, thanks for the NH memories and sorry your run didn't go as planned. Since moving to NM in Jan., I'm now longing for my wet and wild White Mountains of NH!